Got a Kemper....gulp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a Kemper....gulp

Okay, so it's not exactly an amp... well sort of.... but I picked up a Kemper Power Rack.
    I have to say that I'm pretty amazed by what it can do, but I'm not sure if I can actually replace my amps with it. I think it can easily do what it says; capture the sound of your amps so you don't have to lug them to gigs, but I have to say I still like playing through my amps a bit better. Maybe I just need some time to get used to it....

It really is a great tool though. Anyone else on here have one?
    Last edited by Will K; 01-03-2017, 09:55 PM.

Hi Will - I have an AxeFX II, and I'm pretty much in the same position as you are. It does a better-than-decent job with its IRs, and they sound credible when run into a FRFR or PA. But it just doesn't yet replicate the real thing. It can get close, especially with the simulations of boutique amps only found in Joe Bonamassa's house.

Comment

Yeah, I'm on the fence with modeling. It does sound great, and it's super versatile, but it's not an amp. Not going to sell it, but it looks like my amps aren't going anywhere either :-)

I like the profiling features of the Kemper, and the thought limitless amps... but wonder if the Helix is a better fit for someone who wants one box for both modeling and integrating with an amp... I guess it's good to have these problems LOL.

Comment

At the last meet-up, mtomlins mentioned something about the Helix, so I went to my local store, Les Paul in hand, to check it out.

The clean tones from the Helix would suffice, but to my ears they weren't at Axe/Kemper-quality. But every other tone was just terrible - like Spider III bad. Perhaps my opinion is a combination of confirmation bias and previous Line6 PTSD, but it's like every high-gain amp was filtered through both a ground loop and Vai's bee hives.

I think the true value of the Helix is as a MIDI controller. Colored LEDs, scribble strips, every routing config under the sun, built-in Mission Engineering-like dual expression pedal - the usability is far, far better than the AxeFX. And it's far more convenient than carrying around a mini-rack.

Comment

Interesting.... I've thought about the Helix because I think it would be cool to use it with my amps; running the drives up front and mods and delays after the amp. But... I would also want quality modeling too.

The Kemper is really starting to grow on me. I think my next step is to get something like a Yamaha DXR10 for a monitor and see how it does live.

Comment

Working...
          X